“Our goals can only be reached through a vehicle of a plan, in which we must fervently believe, and upon which we must vigorously act. There is no other route to success.”Pablo Picasso
School is just around the corner. Do you feel ready? You might be excited to see all of your friends! Maybe you’re nervous because you’re starting at a new school. Are you worried about homework? Or the next grade you’re completing? The start of school can bring a mix of emotions and feelings. As you get ready, it’s a good idea to start the year focusing on FIRST THINGS FIRST.
When you consider what things are the most important, weighing your priorities and creating a plan is a good place to start. But how do you do that? Here’s one way to set goals for success!
Collect a list of all of the things you want to accomplish, and tasks you need to do
- School Goals- do you want to always get homework done on time? Do you want to improve your grades? Do you want to help a friend learn something new?
- Family Goals- Is there a way you can help around the house more? Can you help your parents with your younger siblings? Can you keep your room tidy?
- Friends Goals- do you want to meet new people? Or get to know a friend better? Maybe you’d like to join a club with some friends?
Organize the tasks in order of importance and urgency
Try to categorize the tasks into the following four categories. This will help you to know what is important, what is urgent, and what to do next!
Create a Plan with Goals
- Set GOALS to help you get things done!
- Write your plan out and keep it somewhere you can see it often
- Create a vision board or a fun checklist so you can see where you’re going and what you’ve accomplished!
- If something doesn’t go the way you planned, don’t panic. Just take a deep breath, revisit your goals, and reset the plan.
- Remember that YOU are responsible for YOU. You have the opportunity to CHOOSE YOUR RESPONSE, and to CHOOSE OUR ACTION.
Celebrate your Accomplishments!
- Be proud of the things you do- no matter how big or small, every achievement is proof of your effort!
- Celebrate meeting a goal by going for a walk in the sunshine. Celebrate by doing a fun activity that you love. Celebrate by inviting a friend over for hot chocolate! There are loads of ways to celebrate that don’t cost money!
Apply for after-school programs
Help your child set goals and stay on track during the school year. Apply for after- school programs!