Who is someone that you look up to in your life? Who is your role model? Many of us have probably encountered questions similar to these at some point in our lives. As you read those questions, there may have been several people who crossed your mind. You may have said that your role models are your parents, friends, teachers, celebrities, or even fictional characters!
It is important to have positive role models in our lives because our behaviours and actions can be influenced by others, whether we are aware of it or not. Whether it is imitating the way your mom is brushing her teeth, sitting the same way your friend is sitting, or wanting to be brave like your favourite movie character, we often feel inspired to alter our attitudes, behaviours, and actions, to match those of the people we admire!
Positive role models are important because they…
- positively influence others that look up to them;
- act as a resource for advice, inspiration, and motivation;
- inspire others to build and develop their own positive characteristics;
- help guide those who look up to them down a positive path;
- and encourage and push others to strive for greatness and achieve their true potential.
Those who are influenced by positive role models in their lives may also want to become positive role models themselves!
Moorelands Kids helps connect youth with positive and caring role models in our community. Our leaders help kids work towards becoming good role models in their own lives and community!
WHAT DOES A GOOD ROLE MODEL LOOK LIKE?
A good role model…
- Demonstrates leadership skills
- Shows respect to people around them
- Wants to do the right thing
- Takes responsibility for their actions and behaviours
- Cares for others and themselves inside and out
- Considers and understand others
by Cindy Liu
CONNECTING KIDS TO POSITIVE ROLE MODELS
Learn more about how our programs connect kids to caring mentors and role models.