September has rolled around again and as many of you prepare to go back to work and school, at Moorelands we’re busy winding up our Wilderness Camp and preparing to kick start our City Programs. Moorelands would just like to say a MASSIVE THANK YOU to all of our program staff who made our City Programs and Wilderness Camp so awesome in 2014/2015. You guys ROCK and we couldn’t have done it without you!
As many of you know, Moorelands is a charity and we receive almost no government funding and are not members of the United Way. We rely on the generosity of our amazing donors who partner with us and keep our programs going strong. To everyone who has donated to Moorelands this year, either to our Send a Kid to Camp campaign or elsewhere: THANK YOU SO MUCH for making lasting impact in the lives of Toronto kids and youth.
Get on your feet for Moorelands!
Right now, there’s a great opportunity to get involved with Moorelands and change a kid’s life. We will be participating in the Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront Marathon (STWM) on October 18th and need YOU to get involved. Follow our easy instructions on how to sign up; reach out to your family, friends and co-workers with your fundraising page; and then get on your feet for Moorelands and run or walk the STWM 5k with us!
Check out these quick facts about why Moorelands Community Services is a worthwhile cause:
- Over 73% of our families live on less than $24,000 a year in this city
- Moorelands was founded in 1912 and has stayed true to it’s mandate to help children affected by poverty
- Child poverty in Toronto is on the rise at 30% but in the communities we serve it is between 50% & 60%²
- We are a donation funded charity and only 3% of our annual $1.5 million budget comes from government. We are not United Way participants.
- Only 7c of each dollar raised goes to administration.
And if you need anymore convincing to get on your feet for Moorelands, check out this video of some of our campers having the time of their lives!
Unable to walk or run with Moorelands on October 18th? Why not sponsor us in the marathon? It’s a great way to make a donation to Moorelands as all the credit card fees are being covered by Scotiabank meaning every cent of your donation goes to Moorelands!
Thank you so much for being part of our community and enjoy the long weekend!