By Muhammad Shahmir Masood – Digital Communications and Development Intern
Extracurricular activities like sports, art classes or music lessons are not just super fun and a chance for kids to make friends; they are also a great opportunity to ensure that learning and education doesn’t end when school is done for the day!
Extra-curricular activities are fun, enjoyable and can help provide the memories your child will hold onto for a lifetime. There are many reasons why your child should join extra-curricular activities:
- Extracurricular activities offer kids a chance to explore new interests that are not available in the regular school curriculum. For example, Moorelands Kids’ after-school programs help kids develop and practice critical thinking and decision making; emotional intelligence; communication; conflict resolution; problem solving; strategic thinking; influencing skills and teamwork.
- They may provide more physical activity than what they would get during the school day and at home .
- Extracurricular activities provide fun and enjoyment, which can help keep kids motivated and have a positive outlook in life.
- Extracurricular activities help children gain new skills, learn to socialize, gain leadership ability and learn more about their own interests . By developing their socio-emotional skills in this way, kids a better equipped to face the challenges of childhood/ adolescence and succeed.
- High school students may also need extracurricular involvement to improve their chances of college acceptance and gaining scholarships .
- After-school programs can lead to better test scores and grades, boost school attendance, academic success and aspirations for continuing education after high school.
Moorelands Kids is committed to supporting children to succeed in life. Our team continues to keep work and help empower children and youth to overcome these barriers to achieving success through a range of programs that offer different extracurricular activities.
Virtual programs have been running throughout summer offering community, friendships and fun , skill-building activities at NO COST! Our regular LED, VITAL and BLAST programs have the aim of developing leadership skills and our Habits and Qualities through fun programming and extracurricular activities.
Our programs are online this fall and are offered at no cost to participants!
Learn more about our online after-school programs that offer kids exciting community experiences to learn and grow in the online world.
Check out some of the fun we had this summer in our online camp programs!
This fall, school will be different for kids. But their need to learn and grow continues…
Extracurricular activities are essential for the learning and development of a child and although, traditional channels of activities might not be possible this year, educational and community based organizations such as Moorelands Kids are working hard to adapt them for your child’s maximum benefit and safety.
Learn more about the amazing work Moorelands Kids does to support the community and develop extracurricular activities for kids.
- Belton S, Prior P, Wickel E, Woods C. The impact of participation in extra-curricular physical activity on males from disadvantaged schools. Eur Phys Educ Rev. 2016;23(1):60-72. doi:10.1177/1356336X15625381
- Christison C. The Benefits of Participating in Extracurricular Activities. BU J Grad Stud Educ. 2013;5(2):17-20.
- Urlings-Strop LC, Themmen APN, Steger-Jager KM. The relationship between extracurricular activities assessed during selection and during medical school and performance. Adv Health Sci Educ. 2017;22:282-298. doi:10.1007/s10459-016-9729-y