Thank you! You made Christmas happen for a record-breaking 819 children and babies in 2018!
Every year during the holiday season, Moorelands Kids offers a uniquely personalized way for you to reach out to families in need.
Our Christmas Sharing program links a family, firm, or group with a family or families whose children have attended Moorelands Camp. Through your sponsorship or “adoption,” Moorelands Kids provides holiday gifts to low-income Toronto families whose children attend our programs and are struggling to make ends meet.
How Does Adopt-a-Family Work?
Moorelands Kids’ Christmas Sharing program is a fun and joyful way to give to those in need during the Holiday season. Once you have successfully signed up to adopt-a-family, we will provide you with gift-giving guidelines, information about the number of people in the family, the children’s ages and favourites (e.g. colours, music, authors, games) to ensure that gifts will be useful and cherished. You and your family or group members go shopping and deliver the gifts to us. We then organize times/dates for the families to pick up their gifts. Sign up early (October) as we have a limited number of families available.
DON'T HAVE TIME TO GO SHOPPING?
Donate the value of a Moorelands Kids' baby bundle and we'll get the gifts on your behalf!
Important Info About Christmas Sharing
At Moorelands Kids we respect the unique worth and inherent dignity of the families we serve. That’s why our Christmas Sharing program is anonymous. If you wish to connect more closely with the family you are adopting, please feel free to include a special message to them. Moorelands will ensure the message is delivered. The message is meant as an opportunity, not as an expectation.
Detailed gift-giving guidelines will be provided once you sign up but here is a general overview: For each child aged 16 and under you will be asked to provide:
- Hats and waterproof mitts/gloves
- Games, activity, toy or gift card
- Holiday treats (chocolates or sweets)
(Typically this will cost up to $80 per child, depending on the age)
- Grocery gift cards – $25 per person in the family (for example, you would provide a $100 grocery gift card for a single parent and 3 children)
It’s exciting to help others and sometimes we’re tempted to “make this Christmas the best ever”. Please be fair and follow the guidelines. Many recipient families know each other and all pick up their Christmas packages at the Moorelands Christmas “warehouse”. To the extent possible, we’d like our families to receive gifts of comparable value. We do check deliveries to ensure that each child has age-appropriate gifts and the grocery gift card amount matches the family size. If you are inspired to do more please consider adopting an additional family or perhaps sponsor a child to attend another Moorelands’ program. See other ways you can get involved…
Once you have successfully applied to adopt-a-family, we will assign you a date to drop off your gifts. In 2018, drop off dates fell between December 3 – 5, 2018 according to the preference listed on applications.
8:00 am to 5:30 pm
- Organize your plan–get your family or group together
- Complete the online application in October (act fast since we have a limited number of families available)
- We will contact you within a week of receiving your application, assign you a family or families as requested and provide you with the information you’ll need
- Go shopping, pack the unwrapped gifts for your family(ies) and complete the packing slip
- Deliver the boxes (or have them delivered by courier) to the drop-off location in Toronto by the deadline date. You will be notified by email where this is.
- Feel great about helping families in need and for inspiring others to get involved!
- We’ll organize time/dates for the families to pick up their gifts
Some Thank You Messages From Families Helped
Info for Families Seeking Support
Moorelands Kids Christmas Sharing program serves families whose children have attended our camp in the current year (2018). If your child/children attended our camp, please note that applications for support must be in by October 1st. If you need a copy of the application, please contact Danielle: 416-466-9987 ext. 300 If your child/children did not attend our camp and you need support this Christmas, the Christmas Bureau opens November 1st. Please contact them for support: 416-392-3601 Please check out the programs that we offer to Toronto kids: Moorelands Camp BLAST LED VITAL