Reporting to the Camp Director(s), the Maintenance and Facility Manager is responsible for the overall maintenance of the Moorelands Camp site, on-site construction, all camp transportation, capital planning in collaboration with Camp Director(s), managing the drinking water and septic systems, and supervision of maintenance staff and volunteers. This role may include living on site, at the camp property, May-October. Although this positional is seasonal, there is opportunity for a permanent seasonal contract with benefits.
Key responsibilities include:
- Responsible for opening and closing of Moorelands Camp and winterizing buildings, water systems, equipment and vehicles
- Ensures buildings, equipment, water and septic systems are regularly inspected, repaired and maintained
- Responsible for ensuring that drinking water is tested as required by the MOE
- In collaboration with Camp Director(s) ensures that washroom and shower facilities are cleaned and disinfected on a daily basis during camp operation
- Performs regular maintenance and repair of the facility and property.
- Oversees garbage removal
- Arranges required maintenance and safety inspections by appropriate authorities
- Maintains inventory of equipment and advises Camp Director/ED when major purchases are imminent
- Organizes and takes the lead on volunteer work-weekends. Provides direction and support to volunteers to accomplish projects
- Trains staff in proper use of equipment and camp procedures and supervises their work
- Supervises construction projects as required
- Orders and receives materials for projects
- Ensures necessary materials and tools are available on site
- Responsible for all camp vehicles/boats and ensures that they are in safe operating condition and that necessary safety equipment is aboard (e.g. safety equipment and required PFDs on boats)
- Drives vans, barge, boats etc. as required
- Coordinates deliveries of supplies
- Prepares annual capital needs lists and updates capital replacement plan annually
- Responsible for the purchase of gas, propane, equipment, tools and for repairs to vehicles within budget guidelines
- Manages wood lot
- Prepares camp and Site Manager’s report at the end of summer including recommendations for the next year and submits it to the Camp Director(s) and to the ED
- Other duties as assigned
- Knowledge and skill in basic carpentry, plumbing, mechanical and electrical repair/maintenance.
- Current Ontario Boating License and substantial experience driving boats
- Current driver’s license and good driving record
- Familiarity with applicable codes, regulations and standards
- Proven organizational skills and supervisory experience required
An asset and will be required upon hiring:
- Drinking Water System Operator Certification
- Standard First Aid and CPR certification
Working at Moorelands Kids
Moorelands Kids is dedicated to empowering kids to transform their lives by providing fun, engaging, life and leadership skill-building programs to Toronto children and youth affected by poverty. Every member of our staff team is a leader. We work hard to build a team environment where open, frank and respectful communications from everyone at every level is essential. We remain firm in our belief that hard work, leadership and team spirit will be the keys to our success. It’s really quite simple – people make the difference.
Moorelands Kids’ Core Beliefs:
- We believe that every child has the right to succeed in life.
- We believe that every child has strengths regardless of their life circumstance.
- We believe that kids from low-income families face hurdles that other kids don’t, and because of this, they may miss out on reaching their full potential.
- We believe that equipping kids with the tools to thrive will give them a better chance to achieve success.
- We believe that their success is our legacy.